As June draws to a close, I’m here to bring you my monthly dispatch of recommendations, round up, and reflections. June brought a hallowed breath of life to the beginning of Summer, my first ever successful magazine submission, and lots of sunshine. I set up this blog, wrote a grand total of 9 (nine!) articles, researched like I was Hamilton trying to finish the Federalist Papers, read too much Vogue and not enough Sartre, drank too many Pandan lattes.
And so, here are the picks that earned a spot on a Lilypad in my Love Lagoon this month:
1. Monte Carlo
A classic from my childhood I rewatched in protest of the men in my life’s eternal droning on the Monaco Grand Prix earlier this month. This film is the reason Hotel Paris is on my life bucket list (though the chances of running into a rich doppleganger I can kidnap are pretty slim, so I guess I’ll have to fund it myself).
2. Andre Leon Talley’s The Chiffon Trenches
I really loved this book. An insight into the bare teeth of the fashion industry, straight from the legend’s mouth. A particular anecdote I enjoyed (though expressed sympathy for) was ALT’s excommunication from Paris following treason at the hands of one Pierre Bergé. I fear I’ve developed a soul connection with ALT. He even coincidentally appeared in an episode of The Hills I had been rewatching. If you’re somewhere between a Carrie Bradshaw and an Emily Charlton, read this book.
3. Caissie Levy wins the Tony Award for Best Actress in a Musical for RagtimeBy far the most deserved award of the night. I’ve loved her since Hair. A definite highlight of the month. Likewise for Joshua Henry.
4. Bruce Springsteen's Secret GardenThis song feels like the perfect bridge song between May and June. Somewhere caught in Spring and Summer. This song feels humid, in a good way.
5. Anok Yai's interview in British Vogue, June 2026
A tale of triumph, resilience and strength. Such an inspiration. This image was my favourite in the feature—mostly due to the Dior Lilypad shoes (thank you Jonathan Anderson!)
6. The Knicks take ManhattanDo I watch basketball? No. Do I live in New York? Not yet. Do I yearn to join the the raucous block party drawing a melting pot of culture together in the streets of NYC? Absolutely I do.
My Mayor’s muslim. My bagel’s Jewish. My Christian Dior. Knicks in FOUR!!!!. 🗣️🤍💙🧡
7. Olivia Rodrigo's cigarette smoke
I thought the cure was a gut-punch, then this song decided to tear out my whole intestines & use them as a lasso to choke my emotions. Don’t listen to the last 2 minutes past midnight, you might find yourself spiralling.
8. Joan Didion's Play It As It Lays
Ironically picked me back up this month after a slump of reads in May, despite its sweltering nihilism. Didion never fails me. I am yet to watch the film but I’m sure it will do it justice, and bring on a torrid obsession with Tuesday Weld.
Yoga this month brought me clearing in the fog. I used to roll my eyes at the woo-woo girls who advocated for nature and movement as medicine, but I have to admit—they’re right. Check out Tana Yoga on YouTube if you want to try a really dynamic flow.
10. Pandan iced coconut latte
A new find at a Vietnamese coffee place in the city. I tried this for the first time & immediately had to go back the next week for another. 10/10.
Cece’s Bloom in the Lagoon
My bloom of the month is udbhava—it’s the Sanskrit word for origin, or new beginnings. As I get my bearings with this blog, figuring out the world of writing, spending my Summer honing my craft and bettering my own practice, this word seems to sum up everything I want this site to be.
And on to July. May it bring you love and light.
Toodles,
Comments
Post a Comment